My lifestyle family photography rule: ALL snuggles must be documented! And warning...there are a lot of snuggles in this session! For family photography, I love guiding everyone into poses that show connection, and then letting things unfold from there to create authentic moments. Here are some favorites from my fall session with Belen, Hubert, and Camilo! We met at Cooper Mountain Nature Park in Beaverton, Oregon for a fall sunset session.
As a lifestyle family photographer, my goal is to create meaningful moments that show the love and connection in a family. But families don’t naturally do this at a photo shoot! It can feel quite awkward to be in front of camera! Each step of the way is guided through prompts and poses. Then sure enough, those candid “in between” moments start to happen and I am ready with my camera!
It has been so much fun watching Chelsea and Brandon’s little family grow! For their winter family session, I photographed them in the same location where we did their maternity session, at Dorris Ranch in Springfield, Oregon. This beautiful location was also the place they spent time as a couple after finding out they were expecting their baby girl, Chloe. Dorris Ranch has a quaint rustic barn and hiking trails through Oregon filbert orchards that lead to the Willamette River.
These are a few favorite photos from Tori, Patrick, and little Griffin’s family session up at Trillium Lake! This family is so adventurous that I knew it would be the perfect location! Oregon has so many beautiful locations to offer as family photography backdrops if you get out and explore a little! Little Griffin did SO GREAT the whole session and even showed off some of his new walking skills!
Make homemade Valentine’s Day cards for each other! Talk about how to encourage each other and include encouraging messages! Cut out heart-shaped pieces of paper and write one thing you admire about your kid on each heart. Read them to your kid one at a time and then hang them on the wall in their bedroom.
What is a fresh 48 newborn session?
A fresh 48 session is a special way to document the first 48 hours of your newborn's life in your hospital room or birth space. During your session, I document all the tiny and oh so sweet milestones such as first yawns, sibling introductions, first feedings, and lots of sleepy snuggles! These sessions are quiet and relaxed with a focus on connection. As your fresh 48 photographer, I am available on call for 2 weeks before your due date.
This fresh 48 session was extra special because I was there to photograph baby Eliana just MINUTES after her birth! Eliana Mary was born via C-section on January 4th, at 9:53am at Tuality Community Hospital in Hillsboro, Oregon. Her mother and father were beaming with joy and excitement as they welcomed their third baby-and first baby girl into the world. She arrived with the most beautiful red hair, and took to nursing right away! Click on the slideshow below to see more special moments from Eliana’s fresh 48!
Motherhood is full of photo-worthy adorable moments of your children. It’s SO easy to whip out your camera phone and capture sweet little moments of your little ones! But years from now, you may look back and notice you were not in any of the photos! Your children will want to see photos of their childhood with you in them, yes YOU!
Here are a few styling tips!
1. Moms, pick your outfit out first! Pick something you feel comfortable and beautiful in! Then coordinate everyone else's outfits around yours! Keep your makeup natural with a bit of color on your lips, eyes, and cheeks! I love long dresses and skirts for mothers and daughters because they can create movement in a photograph, such as blowing in the wind or twirling around!
2. Coordinate your outfits, but don’t match. Try to choose colors and tones that compliment each other. I love a mix of neutrals with some accent colors mixed in! Neutral colors create a soft and elegant style, and enhance natural skin tones! I love incorporating lace and simple floral prints into outfits!
3. It's best to avoid wearing vibrant colors and logos because we want the focus to be on your beautiful face! Some vibrant oranges and reds can create an off color cast onto your skin.
4. Get creative and show your unique style! Have fun accessorizing with scarves, jewelry, hats, and flower crowns!
5. And last of all, dive into Pinterest for more inspiration! I have linked my Pinterest board below where I share color palette ideas and flattering styles for photo shoots!
Elizabeth Hite is a natural light portrait photographer specializing in lifestyle family and newborn photography. Her sessions are laid back and focus on capturing natural moments, joy and connection. She serves families in Portland, Lake Oswego, West Linn, Hillsboro, Beaverton, and all other surrounding areas.